Now and again a book comes along that helps you see the world in a clearer light.
On a trip away I stumbled across a bookshop with a book that caught my eye.
I bought it .. it may be the most important book I’ve come across in some years.
First published in 2015 but only recently available here, it was written before Brexit and Trump-it but is a wholly important examination of our current times.
The material within merits significant exploration and exposition which I hope to do in future posts.
For now I wanted to share the 5 Building Blocks of Capitalism that it explains.
- Property: what can be owned
- Monopoly: what degree of market power is permissible
- Contract: what can be bought and sold and on what terms
- Bankruptcy: what happens when purchasers can’t pay up
- Enforcement: how to make sure no one cheats these rules
Now these key aspects of the world we live in may seem to be written in stone.. far from it.
The key point I’ve already taken away from this book is that these are all human constructs, not defined by the laws of nature or the universe.
In teasing these key elements apart Reich ably demonstrates why were in the state we’re in and what we need to do to get out of it.
More to follow…